$13.5M awarded in molestation case
The Jehovah’s Witnesses have been ordered to pay $13.5 million to a Southern California man who said he was molested as a child by a member of the church.
A San Diego judge ruled last week that the church’s governing body covered up years of sexual abuse by a member who later became an elder.
Superior Judge Joan Lewis said actions of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York were “reprehensible and reckless,” the U-T San Diego reported Friday.
Jose Lopez, who was awarded the money, sued the group, alleging that he was molested in 1986 at age 7 by a member of the Spanish congregation in the Linda Vista area of San Diego.” (http://www.tampabay.com/news/nation/woman-with-brain-cancer-takes-dose-of-lethal-drugs/2204859)